I'm in the middle of Week 3 of my 500 Dollar Month. I'm pleased to say that it's turning out wonderfully. Click Here to see how I'm saving, what I'm cooking and how it's all going down.
500 Dollar Month Thoughts:
- I'm going to make it through all of this week without spending any money on groceries. Thank you, huge giant tubs of spinach from Costco.
- I think I might be suffering from some sort of health food store withdrawal. I keep having dreams about visiting these exotic, decorated in earth tones and muted brown, bulk foods galore, grocery stores. I feel so at home in these dreams. I buy fresh broccoli in these dreams.
- We spend a ton of money on stupid food. This month we have been sure to waste nothing, which has been kind of eye opening. If you had asked me before whether or not we wasted a lot of food, I would have told you, No. I mean, maybe a brown banana here and there, but no. It has come to my attention that we are wasters of like... whole meals worth of food. Ends of unused bread, left overs, wilted greens, homemade salad dressing that sits in the fridge for a week without being used. Getting organized about planning meals and spending less on them has really helped me to use up everything we have.
- Buying and using less feels good. It feels better than being out of control and not having a plan.
- I'm aching a little, though, for some other, exotic and expensive ingredients... but definitely not for more of anything.
-We have $97.41 left to make it through the next 12 days. I'm taking wagers as to whether or not we can actually do it.
- I feel like a trip to The Outer Banks is totally possible, after seeing how successful I've been this month. I bet you that by the end of next week, I'll be able to put away about 20% of what we need to actually make it happen.
- We're definitely staying beach front on the least inhabited island.
photo by razvan orendovici